Sunday, February 1, 2009

on growing a belly

Ah, the pregnant belly. I remember long ago when I wasn't really showing, when it seemed to be taking forever for my stomach to look even the smallest bit bigger. Or maybe it was yesterday... It seems like in a matter of hours, I have gone from modestly thick about the middle to very obviously pregnant. I just outgrew my first pair of pants... MATERNITY pants, and I think I have a couple of MATERNITY shirts that are not going to be long behind them.

It's just getting obscene. When I try to sit up out of bed... I can't! I literally have no abdominal strength whatsoever. I like to lie with my legs across Scott's lap on the couch, and the other day I had to heave them up there one at a time, and it was hard! Small children are starting to announce my pregnancy to me. One girl was optimistic that "maybe you'll have ten babies, like that lady on the news!" Thanks, kid. That helps.

I've never once eaten 3,000 daily calories as I've been instructed, but I'm still gaining weight at what seems to me an alarming pace. It shouldn't bother me too much longer though--I figure I've only got another week or two before I can't see the numbers on the scale anyway. And how in the world did I ever reach my feet? I broke down and bought a pair of velcro tennis shoes yesterday... and I'm so excited! Tying laces was getting painful...

And it's only going to get much, much worse, this I know. There are galleries of pregnant twin bellies that scare the bejeebers out of me. Here are a couple of my "favorites":

I'm sure I'll have my own freak-show belly pictures before long. Pregnancy is SO weird.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Wow. Those bellies are scary. :)

The funniest part of the whole belly growing thing to me was the days when I would bump into everything with my belly, like suddenly overnight my belly was a couple inches bigger and I didn't have a sense of where it was anymore.

I didn't understand why the nurse and doctor always commented about how well I was getting around until I had regained my perspective a year after the twins were born and I looked with fresh eyes at my last picture. I was a house! But I felt wonderful, so there you go. :)