Wednesday, February 24, 2010

three-quarters

The babies are 75% of the way through their first year. They are closer to toddlers than newborns, my chunky little muffins.

Speaking of chunky, Noah is still heavier than Lily, at 19 lbs versus her 17.5. BUT. Her thighs are fatter. And her arms have more rolls. Poor thing. I've had to put away some pants and shirts that she SHOULD have just gotten big enough to wear, because they look like sausage casings on her poor little limbs. Oddly enough, she is now officially on the growth charts for height, while Noah is still dangling somewhere below the fifth percentile.


And speaking of muffins... I like muffins. Mmm, muffins.

Noah surprised me (and probably himself) this morning by going vertical. I put him in the play yard as I generally do in the mornings, and took Lily next door to be babysat. When I came back, he had pulled himself into a standing position! I was so shocked I snatched him up like I was saving him from the brink of death. And then I realized that he had just been making some really excited noises, and that he was probably super proud of himself for this first-time accomplishment! So then I felt bad and tried to congratulate him, but his goldfish memory had already lost the thought. I'll just have to try to remember to give him some good applause the NEXT time he freaks me out.

Lily still thinks all things related to crawling and walking are utterly unworthy of her attention. Instead, she babbles like a teensy little maniac. So far, she says "da-da" (often during nursing sessions, which is weird...) and "ma-ma". And all kinds of other sounds, which mostly degenerate into spitting noises when she is frustrated. Lately she is sickly, so I'm waiting to see if today's fever hangs out till tomorrow and merits a call to the doctor. Once today when I set her down, she whimpered pathetically, looked up at me, and said "Mama!" as one shiny tear slid down her flushed little cheek. Tell me again why I wanted her to be able to talk to me? So she could BREAK MY HEART???
And now some pictures. Granddad introduced Lily to the wonders of the iPhone during their recent visit:
I thought we'd make it till she was at least 10 before she started asking for a cell phone, but that may be wishful thinking.
Noah taking a bath: (And yes, I chose this picture because the strategically-placed dolphin made me giggle my head off.)
My little Lily, ready for bed:
And Noah, showing off his "standing", complete with the Grip of Death on that little activity table.

No comments: